Thursday, November 14, 2013

TCB Part 40: Chapter 14: Sunday Afternoon

Go to the Beginning of the story

< Part 39


Archives: A letter to my son (cont.)


…It is to you, dear son, that I owe an apology. I cannot even speak of what I did, but if you have thought of that day as often as I have, you know of what I speak. I have been haunted by the guilt of what I did to you those years ago. You deserved better than how I treated you, and I am sorry. I hope that in time, you can find it in your heart to forgive me for how I wronged you.
I am ready to die, but I am deeply saddened that I will not be able to see what wondrous things you will accomplish for this world. I could not be more proud of the man you have become, and I rest with full confidence that you will accomplish greater things for this world than I could ever have dreamed. The Lester name could not rest upon a better set of shoulders than yours. Thank you for the privilege of calling you “son.”

Your father
Alistair Lester




Chapter 14: Sunday Afternoon


Montgomery Lester sat in his living room across from the private investigator he’d hired to find the thieves that had hijacked his train. He was impatient. He usually spent his Sundays relaxing, reading, avoiding work as much as possible. He took a sip of hot tea hoping to calm his nerves.
“How is the investigation going?”
“It is complete. The entire team of thieves has been captured. One was killed.”
That news was bittersweet to Lester. His heart ached at the thought that someone was killed, even a criminal such as this man. “Tell me who these people were. What did they want?”
“It seems they were only after money. The only other thing missing from the trains was a record book from the early revolution. It’s not clear why they took that. The rest was gold and valuables. The team was quite diverse. Charlotte Avalon, the airbike racer, was the first to be caught, she was injured in a car crash on Friday. After her, we captured the inventor, Dr. Everton L. Montebanque. I was able to turn Dr. Montebanque into an ally to capture the rest. We then apprehended Kostas Stavraki, a burglar and explosives expert. From there, we traced two of the thieves who were escaping the city together on a small yacht. Anabelle Devereaux, a well-known socialite, was pulled off the boat into our airship. Her companion, the bookmaker Phineas Derbyshire perished in the chase. The final member of the team, the ringleader, was captured this morning. His name is Thurmond Higgs.”
Montgomery took note of the names. Miss Devereaux and Mr. Derbyshire were both known to him, though he’d never met them. Miss Avalon’s name rang a bell as well. “And what about the valuables? Were those recovered?”
“Some. Not all. We’ve been able to recover about 2/3 of it so far. We’re hoping to find more soon, but we know that some was lost in the exchange with Derbyshire. Some was spent before we could do anything about it.”
Montgomery nodded. “It is as good as I could have expected. I’ll need to cover what losses were not recovered. I appreciate your effort to continue the recovery. Thank you for all your work, Mr. Hawke.”
Montgomery opened a box, and pulled out a small bag of gold coins. He handed them to the investigator. “Your fee. I have added some, since you worked so quickly.”
Montgomery stood and saw Hawke out of the house. He locked the door as the investigator left. He went to sit at his desk. He looked over the list left by Hawke, reflected on the people who had somehow broken into his train while it was travelling faster than any train had before. He couldn’t help but be impressed at their ability to pull it off. He wondered if it was worth the cost.
He reached into a desk drawer and pulled out a battered leather-bound book. The cover, which had once been red was now battered and faded to a pale brown. There was a deep gash across the front cover, and corners were dented and bent. ARCHIVES was written in block letters on the front. He ran a hand over the cover, and he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes once again. This book contained the one thing that he would have given his entire fortune to find. That a man had died for this book was bittersweet for him. 
He couldn’t bear to open it. The thought of what he might learn was almost too much to bear. He placed his hand on the cover and thought back to thirty years earlier.

No comments: