Wednesday, October 09, 2013

TCB Part 15: Chapter 4: Thursday Morning (cont.)

Go to the Beginning of the story




Chapter 4: Thursday Morning (cont.)


Phineas sat in the empty grandstand, staring at the grass track below. He was tired of studying the control diagram of the Spartan. There was only just so much you could learn by looking at a schematic. The rest he would figure out when he got into the cockpit. You can’t plan for everything, sometimes you just have to get lucky. Now he was taking advantage of the solitude to reflect on his life and how he’d gotten to where he was today.
Life had been so simple before. He remembered some of his old grifts. They were small, but fun. It was enough to keep him fed. A little sleight of hand and he could have a waitress believing that he’d already paid, and that she owed him change. He had talked his way into countless hotel nights and plenty of free vacations. He’d once even talked his way into a new steamcar, free and clear, and gotten the salesman to thank him afterward. Those were the days.
Then one day, he figured out that he could make a good living in betting. The spread alone that he could earn on a single race was more than he brought in during a single year of his old fast talk schemes. Besides that, he was good at it. He could convince even the stingiest miser that a bet was a sure thing. In time, it was the selling that started to get him in trouble. Nobody goes after the bookie when they lose a bet fair and square. But a mark isn’t happy when he realizes that he’s been had. Phineas was developing a reputation, and it wasn’t a good one.
He’d changed his ways in the recent years, establishing a more straight-forward model. Gone were the cons and smooth talking deals. He was legitimate now, and he had been making good money on it. That was until he got a new odds maker. An odds maker who had majorly messed up. Suddenly, he found himself paying out more than he was taking in. And once he got the reputation as an easy win, the tables were turned, and more and more clients were placing bets. By the time he’d realized what was happening, it was too late, and he was already out more than he could pay.
He reverted to his old ways. He repeatedly found ways to hold off the pressure for a day or two while he collected the money from other bets. The margin was thin, and the new money coming it wasn’t enough to settle his old bets. Negotiation and wordsmithing could only go so far. There would be a reckoning, and he feared it would be soon.
When Higgs came along with a way out, it was too good to pass up. He could take his share, pay off his debts and get away from the city. He only hoped that he hadn’t lost his skills. When he had been doing it every day, the words came easy. He was smooth and practiced. But now, he wasn’t so sure. He could pull it off, but he’d need to keep his focus. The most important thing was to get away with enough to pay his debts. Nothing else mattered.
He heard the footsteps on the grandstand steps coming from behind. He turned to see Anabelle approaching. She was dressed to the nines, as usual, in a form-fitting coat and ruffled skirt. She wasn’t exactly the person Phineas was hoping to see, but he tried not to let it show. She took a seat on the bench beside him.
“Good Morning Phineas.” She said with a smile. “Beautiful day, don’t you think.”
Phineas cleared his throat. “I suppose it is, Anabelle.”
“I thought we should talk about our plan for the bank.”
“Ok. What are you thinking?”
“Well, I think, if you’re willing to go in disguise, you can pose as a repairman. The problem is that the building guard would need to check you through, and he’ll know you aren’t the usual man. So I’m thinking that I can… distract him. If I do my job right, he’ll never know you were even there. What do you think?”
“Ok. Go with it.”
Anabelle cocked her head to one side, “Phineas, why do you hate me?”
“Honest?”
“Of course.”
“I resent people like you. You think that you can just flaunt your beauty and get everything you want. You think that life is so simple. I used to think like you, but I learned how wrong I was. I don’t hate you, I just don’t trust you.”
Anabelle wasn’t fazed by his bluntness, “You miss that life, don’t you?”
Phineas looked at her, smiled sardonically, and then looked away toward the field. She was right, but he wouldn’t give her the pleasure of acknowledging it.
Anabelle continued, “You know, I’ve thought about changing my ways, but I don’t feel guilty about how I get by. Do you know how much pleasure it gives those men to have the attention of a beautiful woman? They get the attention they want, and I get the things that I want.”
Phineas laughed quietly. “Attention, good word.”
“That’s all it is, Phineas. I talk with them, exchange a smile, flirt a little. That’s all. I’m a lady, afterall. Besides, they’re paying for hope. If I take that away, they lose interest.” She laughed flirtatiously.
Phineas was unaffected. “See, that’s what I mean, you think it’s a game. It’s not a game, Anabelle, it’s life. Someday, it will catch up with you, and I hope for your sake that you get off easy.”
“Despite how you feel about me, I respect you, Phineas. I hope that by the time we’re done with this, you’ll learn to respect me as well. I think you’ll find that there’s more to me than a pretty, shallow woman. I hope that at least you can trust me.”
“I trust that you are going to do what’s best for you. It’s what I’m going to do. So long as your best interest aligns with mine, I would trust you with my life. I have no illusion that anybody on this team has any other interest besides his own. We will all be cheering for each other just as long as we have to. But don’t tell me for a second that you won’t sell me out first chance you get if it saves your own skin. I don’t buy altruism. Be careful whom you trust, Anabelle. Everybody’s looking out for himself; I suggest you do the same.”
“Fair enough.” Anabelle stood, “I will see you this afternoon.”
Phineas didn’t bother to turn as she left.

Part 16 >


No comments: